Summer festival season is now in full swing and whether you’re planning to take a trip to a UK or European event, one thing you will need is a durable, hard-wearing bag to stuff all your personal belongings into. When I go about choosing a new bag it’s usually style over substance (often to my detriment). However, I do occasionally consider some of the following:
1. How much can I fit in it? Remember there’s going to be everything from towels to frisbees to beer cans stuffed in there, so it needs to be big enough.
2. What material should I choose? Now you’re probably going to be a bit worse-for-wear throughout a festival weekend and your poor old bag will go through the mill with you (It’ll be soaked and stink of beer by the end of day one), so make sure it’s washable and doesn’t stain easily.
3. It still needs to be comfortable and look the part. Ok, so the likelihood of you giving a damn whether your bags on trend or not by the end of a festival weekend is slim. However, it’s always nice to start with good intentions.
The Best Bags for Beach & Festival
Here is my selection of 9 fantastic weekend bags for a festival, roadtrip or just a mosy on down to the beach to do a bit of paddling….
1. The Irondale Weekend Bag – Penfield
The Irondale is a classic weekend roll bag, manufactured from 100% cotton with features that include; leather faux trims, adjustable nylon strap, cord zip pulls and woven Penfield logo on the side. This palm tree print version below would make the perfect summer festival bag.
2. Court Holdall Bag – Addidas Originals
This Adidas Originals Holdall is inspired by clasic 80’s tennis styling and constructed from the finest premium leather, ideal for keeping out the elements should your tent spring a leak. Other features include reinforced/bound edges, brand zip pulls and the famous Adidas logo printed in green.
See Also: 11 Stunning Watches Under £200
3. Tote Bag – Garbstore x AXS Folk Technology
Tote bags are an ideal beach or festival accessory and this great collaboration from one of my favourite London haunts ‘the Garbstore‘ and outerwear brand AXS Folk Technology is one of the best tote bags on the market this year. The heavyweight Nylon knotted strap is gives the bag a really functional feel and the reinforced bottom means it’s more durable than most other competitor brands..
4. Rucksack No. 21 Large – Fjallraven
If you cant bear to leave your technology behind, then this No.21 Backpack from Swedish bag lords Fjallraven is a good bet. It’s got more compartments that an american fridge, including a nice padded slot for your laptop or tablet. The No.21 is manufactured from a strong waxed cotton/polyester mix with leather detailing and as well as housing your laptop it also features a removable seat pad. Without doubt one of the best festival rucksacks on the market.
5. Packable Duffle – Herschel Supply Co.
Herschel really is at the forefront of design innovation and creativity. This packable duffle not only looks the business but is highly practical, with the whole bag being able to fold away into a detachable compartment … impressive! The duffle is constructed from tear resistant nylon and comes in more colours than a pack of skittles. An efficient, affordable summer festival bag.
See Also: 5 Pastel Colored Suits For Summer
6. Aki Weekend Bag – Sandqvist
We couldn’t do a guide to travel bags without Swedish stalwarts Sandqvist and I’ve chosen the real heavyweight of their weekend bags collection … the ‘Aki’. Holding a whopping 40 litres, the Aki is constructed from a heavyweight 18oz canvas and features a waterproof cordura bottom. Therefore, it’s more than a match for any soggy festival campsite.
7. Climb Tote Bag – Epperson Mountaineering
California’s Epperson Mountaineering have recently diversified from their staple heavy duty backpacks and are manufacturing some superb tote bags for SS14. The Climb Tote showcased below is an impressive beach/travel bag constructed from durable climb grade cordura nylon, featuring great aztec pattern straps, drawstring closure and the stitched Epperson label tab.
8. Steve McQueen Arcadia Holdall – Barbour
Barbour’s Steve McQueen collection epitomizes vintage american style and this Acardia holdall is again inspired by the motorcycle legend. Manufactured in cotton canvass and leather trim the Arcadia features multiple internal and external buckle pockets, shoulder strap, 1964 union jack/stars & stripes tab and a superb dark sand wash that will only get better with age.
9. Padded Pakr Backpack – Eastpak
To finish off our selection, I’ve chosen this playful little backpack from Eastpak. The ‘Tent Town’ version below features a large main compartment, padded straps/back support, zip front pocket and a distinctive all-over tent print. Oh and its a steal for under £30. A great no-nonse day bag for the beach.
Enjoy the summer guys and let us know what festivals are you going to this year?